The Fondazione Torlonia was founded in 2014 by Prince Alessandro Torlonia with the express aim of preserving and promoting the Torlonia Collection – among the most important collections of ancient marble sculptures in the world – and Villa Albani Torlonia, one of the highest expressions of neoclassical architecture. Together they constitute a “cultural heritage of humanity, as well as of the family” to be handed down to future generations.
The Torlonia Collection is known as the most important private collection of ancient art in the world. It is an exceptional assembly of works: sarcophagi, busts and Greco-Roman statues. resulting from acquisitions of the most prominent collections of Rome’s patrician families, as well as from excavation finds made on the Family’s own estates. It is a collection of collections, which, over the various stages of its constitution, defined the very nature of collecting antiquities.
Villa Albani Torlonia
Villa Albani Torlonia has belonged to the Torlonia Family since 1866. It was built during the mid-18th century on the designs of the architect Carlo Marchionni on the basis of a project heavily influenced by key figures such as Giovanni Battista Nolli, Giovanni Battista Piranesi and Johann Joachim Winckelmann to house the prestigious collection of antiquities, curated by the latter, of Cardinal Alessandro Albani, nephew of Pope Clement XI. The Villa, with its collection, the fountains, statues, stairways and frescoes, and on the other side from the Italian-style garden, the hemicycle of the Kaffeehaus, constitutes a sublime testimony of the passing style between Rococo and Neoclassicism, that for which Rome had become a key destination on the Grand Tour.