A selection of ninety masterpieces, representative of the collection’s importance both on a national and international level, will be presented at the Rome opening show. This exhibition will be curated by the archaeologist and art historian Professor Salvatore Settis and by the archaeologist Professor Carlo Gasparri both of the Accademia dei Lincei. The collection will then tour around the world to a number of prestigious museum institutions.
"Today’s agreement is the fruit of a happy fortunate alignment between the intentions of the Torlonia family and the present officeholders of the Ministry. It represents a first step towards the enhancement of these works’ Alessandro Poma Murialdo observed on signing: "All the works in the collection have, until now, been preserved with care under the egis of the family, and now of the Fondazione Torlonia. They have been subject to constant and scrupulous conservation at the sole expense of the family, that has engaged a select group of trusted technicians and restorers." Alessandro Poma Murialdo, Administrator, Fondazione Torlonia.
For the forthcoming exhibition, which is already known as the ‘Progetto Settis’, the Fondazione Torlonia will sustain the costs of restoring the works for loan, with the contribution of maison Bvlgari, Main Sponsor of the restoration, while the Ministry, through Rome’s Special Branch for Archaeology, will be concerned with the staging of the display, set to debut, thanks to Capitoline Superintendence, in Rome’s Palazzo Caffarelli, in the Museo Nuovo spaces.
“…A ‘backwards’ itinerary beginning with the evocation of the ancient layout of the Museo Torlonia and then ascending back in time: from the excavations on the Torlonia properties, to those 14th and 15th-century collections, from which – passing from hand to hand – some of the most prestigious pieces entered the Museo Torlonia.” Professor Salvatore Settis
The selection of works will therefore include a choice of sculptures acquired before 1825 from the 17th-century Giustiniani collection, a variety of works from later collections, and others from excavations undertaken, in the 19th century, on the Torlonia properties, from Porto to Villa dei Quintili, as well as works originating from the purchase of the studio belonging to the sculptor Bartolomeo Cavaceppi whithin 1819.